A wobbly toilet is bound to become a leaky wobbly toilet. Leaky toilets can cause a lot of damage to the flooring, floorboards, and into the foundation or room below. Therefore, it's important to fix a wobbly toilet as soon as the wobble is noticed to prevent leaking. A soft Wobble Wedge® toilet shim can fix a wobbly toilet quickly and prevent future leaking.
How to Fix a Wobbly Toilet with Wobble Wedges® Toilet Shims
- Loosen the toilet bolts slightly.
- Place a level across the toilet seat.
- Slip one or more Soft Wobble Wedges® under the back side of the toilet base, until it is both level and stable.
- Tighten the toilet bolts with a gentle tension until the bolts are snug and the toilet feels solid. Be careful not to over-tighten the bolts.
- Check the water supply line to ensure it is not leaking.
- If it is leaking, first try tightening it. If that does not stop the leak, replace it.
How To Fix a Leaky & Wobbly Toilet
Once a wobbly toilet starts leaking, the wax seal is already damaged and should be replaced as soon as possible.
- Toilet Flange Repair Kit
- Wax Ring or Waxless Ring
- Adjustable Wrench
- Soft Wobble Wedges®
- Sponge or Rag Towel
- Used Plastic Shopping Bag
- New Water Supply Line (optional, but often worth replacing)
- Turn off water supply.
- Empty tank by flushing.
- Remove remaining water with sponge. Wring out over bucket.
- Remove water line supply from bottom of toilet tank.
- Remove nuts from two toilet bolts on side of toilet base.
- Pull toilet straight up over bolts and set aside.
- Remove old wax ring and clean the surrounding floor and toilet base.
- Fill a plastic bag with a rag and stuff it into the drain prevent anything falling into the drain and stop flow of sewer gas.
- Remove old toilet flange.
- Install new toilet flange with new bolts (don’t try to reuse old bolts).
- Install new wax ring into flange.
- Lift toilet over bolts and set down squarely.
- Thread nuts over bolts and hand-tighten.
- Locate the cause of toilet wobble by rocking toilet gently.
- Insert one or more Soft Wobble Wedges® near back of toilet base until the wobble is eliminated. One Wobble Wedge® on each side of base normally does the job.
- Tighten toilet flange bolts gently until bolt feels snug and toilet is stable.
- Trim flange bolts with a hacksaw if needed.
- Place bolt caps over bolts.
- Trim Soft Wobble Wedges® with one firm stroke of a sharp utility knife.
- Caulk toilet base if desired.